Margaret Fieland: Poetry and Prose

Guest Post by Nancy Famolari: Romance Novels as an antidote for Tough Times

Posted in Romance, authors, writing by Administrator on the February 4th, 2011

My guest today is Nancy Famolari. She enjoys reading and writing romance novels and tells you why.

Romance Novels an Antidote for Tough Times

We live in tough economic times. Unemployment is upwards of nine percent. Taxes are high; prices are high. People worry about the future. You see it in the news every day, Yet, book sellers and publishers report that romance novels sell very well, perhaps better than in more affluent times. So, why are we reading romance novels?

Romance novels are cheerful. The characters face serious, or not so serious problems and come out winners. In the best romance novels, they give us examples of how to solve out own problems. The people are generally attractive. The men are handsome; the women, beautiful. In our daydreams, we’d like to be like them, or have them for friends

The settings are charming, often elegant. In times like these most of us want to get away from our dreary routine for awhile. Romance novels let you visit pleasant places: resorts, estates, and quaint villages. It’s a cheap vacation.

The characters have interesting careers. When we’re toiling at boring, uninteresting jobs, it’s fun to revel in the challenges faced by fashion designers, politicians, and business leaders. It might even give you a vision that leads to an exciting career.

My personal favorites are romantic thrillers. I love solving puzzles. True crime stories and detective fiction with their focus on serial killers and assassinations make you face the ugliness in the world rather than getting away from it all. It’s fun to read a cozy mystery, or romantic suspense novel and just disappear from all the ugliness for awhile.

Like to read romance? Perhaps you should write one. Several authors have written a book because they were bored or couldn’t find anything they wanted to read. Dorothy Dunnett, author of the Lymond Chronicles and The House of Niccolo, complained to her husband that she couldn’t find any good books to read. He suggested she write one. It was the first Lymond book, The Game of Kings. Rita Mae Brown started writing Riding Shotgun when she was stuck at her Virginia farm in an ice storm with no power and no phone.

I write cozy mysteries: Murder in Montbleu and The Lake House. If you’d like a vacation in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania, come visit Police Chief Chess Devon and Inspector Bartlett Thomas in Montbleu. There’s always a scandal brewing.

Nancy Famolari’s Bio:

Nancy Famolari splits her time between her farm in the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania and a smaller farm near Ocala, Florida. Her five horses are becoming seasoned travelers. The Endless Mountains is a lovely rural area with many small town datingfrom the early 1800’s. This beautiful region provides the background for all the novels in the Montbleu Murder series, including Murder in
Montbleu and The Lake House.

11 Responses to 'Guest Post by Nancy Famolari: Romance Novels as an antidote for Tough Times'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Guest Post by Nancy Famolari: Romance Novels as an antidote for Tough Times'.

1. Jen Wylie said,

on February 4th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Great post Nancy!

I love to sit down to nice romance now and then. Nothing like reading about true forever love either. :)

Happy reading, and writing!

2. Nancy Famolari said,

on February 4th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thanks for having me today Margaret. Jen, so glad you like romance, too.

3. Carolyn Howard-Johnson said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 1:06 am

I sure agree that writing is a great antidote for tough times and that includes poor health. It can be a curative–especially memoir and journaling, but really everything. We put much of ourseves into just about any kind of writing. The more we put in, the better we get get as writers. Thanks, you two writing women!
    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    Blogging writers resources at Writer’s Digest 101 Best Websites pick http://www.sharingwithwriters.blogspot.com

4. Marietta Taylor said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 3:29 am

I love romantic thrillers too. Enjoyed the post immensely!

5. Mayra Calvani said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Romance novels are pure escapism!

6. Stephen Tremp said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I don’t read romance novels, although I recognize the need to have romance in my books which are of the action genre. Romance provides the means to balance out action and help with character development.

7. Nancy Famolari said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the great comments. You’re right, Carolyn, anything you write is an antidote for tough times. I guess we’d all better keep writing. Stephen, I agree. Romance helps even in adventure and thriller dramas as a secondary plot.

I’m so glad you all love romance. I guess we should have done this post on the 14th!!

8. Donna McDine said,

on February 5th, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Give me a good romance any day over the news! Murder in Montbleu is a fantastic book!

Best wishes,
    Donna
    Children’s Author
    Write What Inspires You Blog
    The Golden Pathway Story book Blog

9. Karen Cioffi said,

on February 6th, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I posted to this yesterday – not sure why it didn’t appear. One more time:
    I agree that Romance, Mysteries, and even soft Sci-fi are great escape tools. Having an entertaining diversion that ends satisfyingly is a helpful relief from everyday life and its problems.

10. Tweets that mention Margaret Fieland: Poetry and Prose » Guest Post by Nancy Famolari: Romance Novels as an antidote for Tough Times -- Topsy.com said,

on February 6th, 2011 at 7:06 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Karen Cioffi , Margaret Fieland. Margaret Fieland said: Guest Post by Nancy Famolari: Romance Novels as an antidote for Tough Times: My guest today is Nancy Famolari. S… http://bit.ly/igyUkZ [...]

11. Dallas Woodburn said,

on February 6th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

What a lovely piece! I am a firm believer in writing what you would enjoy reading! Thanks for sharing.